Janie Not-So-Long Hair

I'm getting back to sewing. Blood, sweat, and tears will follow. I am so sure.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Bruises & Rust

Wow, I haven't posted anything for more than a week. Let's see if I can make this worth reading.

We've each been busy in our own way. I've been getting those allergy shots and the last one gave me a bruise. It's only the size of a postage stamp, but it hurts. It BOTHERS me. Make it stop! A call to one of the nurses this morning assured me that the bruise itself was not an indication of an adverse reaction. There is no itching involved and it's whatever they are pumping in the left arm. All the same, I plan to wait a week between shots this time. I still think the bruise needs to heal a bit more before I get another shot near it.

I've been trying to sew. Really, I have. Why don't I sound convincing? Maybe it's all the junk I have to trip over to get to the sewing machine. Perhaps it's the loopy stitches Lady Singer is doing all over my teal tunic sleeves. I guess I need to find where Lady Kenmore got stashed and take her in for a tune up so I don't have to go completely without a machine. I've heard the people work wonders over at Ward's Corner, but I have never used them. I'm hesitant to send my most useful machine to stay with them for an undetermined length of time. God help me if I'm forced to hand sew something.

I cleaned out the medicine cabinet. It seems the small spot of rust has grown and grown. I was assured it was all my fault for having bought a rusted cabinet to begin with (seven? years ago) and has absolutely nothing to do with a damp razor being placed on the bottom shelf every morning. FWIW, my side of the cabinet has only sparse speckles of rust, much like the upper shelves. Being a white painted metal cabinet, some of the edges have flaked off the paint and started to rust. We are talking a damp bathroom after all.

So, you ask, what are you doing about the rust? Ever heard of Ospho? It is an acid wash that turns rust BACK INTO METAL. Really. My Dad uses it on vehicles all the time, so I called him for advice. (It was the Super Bowl. They EXPECT me to call them a dozen times.)

Me: Is there any reason I can't apply the Ospho with a cotton ball? It's really a small spot with various tiny spots all over the cabinet shelves.

Dad: Well, it can burn the pee out of you. If you have any cuts on your fingers you will find it.

Thanks, Dad, that was SO delicately put. He suggested I use Q-tips and the bottle cap. I decided to try layering two plastic Dixie cups (or does being plastic make them Solo cups?). It worked great. The main rust spot is now mostly black and grey. The cups held up just fine, but I had to use two Q-tips. Some of the tiny rust spots stayed rusty colored. I was instructed to "hit 'em again".

Now I just need to either locate the white Rustoleum or go buy some more. The garage can be scary, so a trip to the store might be in my future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home