We Are All Hokies This week: The Feud
I went to see Wonderful Karen this morning. It was a spur of the moment thing. I was already in the neighborhood seeing the chiropractor and stopped to see if she could cut my hair.
While I waited I read the April 2007 issue of “O” Magazine and boo-hooed over the adoption stories. I wiped tears on my sleeve cuffs until they were both damp. (I’m NOT adopted, so don’t even go there.) Finally, Karen was ready for me and I tossed aside the magazine.
Karen hadn’t watched much of the news about Virginia Tech because she stays so busy these days. I shared a couple of news items with her, then she told me about what’s been happening at her house. Karen has two young teen daughters. One wants to attend Virginia Tech. One wants to go to University of Virginia.
For those of you outside Virginia, this is referred to as “VT vs. UVA, The Original Family Feud.” I had not lived in Virginia long before I realized this rivalry existed. Much like Clemson (CU) and Carolina (USC) in South Carolina, the rivalry takes many forms. The phrase I heard while growing up was “My favorite football teams are Clemson and whoever is playing Carolina.” It was Tigers versus Gamecocks in SC. Here in Virginia it is Hokies versus Cavaliers.
On Monday, the day of the shootings, Future Cavalier announced, “I’m GLAD I’m going to UVA!”
Future Hokie immediately retorted, “Well, I’m STILL going to Virginia Tech!”
On Tuesday morning, Karen’s husband told their girls, “Put on some Virginia Tech shirts for school.”
Future Cavalier (horrified): “What?!?”
Husband/Dad: “We need to show support for the Virginia Tech people.”
Future Hokie: "OK." (Goes to put on shirt.)
Future Cavalier: “How long do *I* have to wear Virginia Tech stuff?”
Karen: “Just for this week, honey. After Friday you can go back to UVA stuff.”
You have GOT to love these kids. The family feud might run deep, but they’re STILL FAMILY.
We are all Hokies this week.
While I waited I read the April 2007 issue of “O” Magazine and boo-hooed over the adoption stories. I wiped tears on my sleeve cuffs until they were both damp. (I’m NOT adopted, so don’t even go there.) Finally, Karen was ready for me and I tossed aside the magazine.
Karen hadn’t watched much of the news about Virginia Tech because she stays so busy these days. I shared a couple of news items with her, then she told me about what’s been happening at her house. Karen has two young teen daughters. One wants to attend Virginia Tech. One wants to go to University of Virginia.
For those of you outside Virginia, this is referred to as “VT vs. UVA, The Original Family Feud.” I had not lived in Virginia long before I realized this rivalry existed. Much like Clemson (CU) and Carolina (USC) in South Carolina, the rivalry takes many forms. The phrase I heard while growing up was “My favorite football teams are Clemson and whoever is playing Carolina.” It was Tigers versus Gamecocks in SC. Here in Virginia it is Hokies versus Cavaliers.
On Monday, the day of the shootings, Future Cavalier announced, “I’m GLAD I’m going to UVA!”
Future Hokie immediately retorted, “Well, I’m STILL going to Virginia Tech!”
On Tuesday morning, Karen’s husband told their girls, “Put on some Virginia Tech shirts for school.”
Future Cavalier (horrified): “What?!?”
Husband/Dad: “We need to show support for the Virginia Tech people.”
Future Hokie: "OK." (Goes to put on shirt.)
Future Cavalier: “How long do *I* have to wear Virginia Tech stuff?”
Karen: “Just for this week, honey. After Friday you can go back to UVA stuff.”
You have GOT to love these kids. The family feud might run deep, but they’re STILL FAMILY.
We are all Hokies this week.
Labels: Motherhood, VT
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home