Janie Not-So-Long Hair

I'm getting back to sewing. Blood, sweat, and tears will follow. I am so sure.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

My Muse Doesn't Like the Computer Room

I have tons of ideas for things to write about here. Unfortunately, I'm usually far away from the computer when the Muse strikes me.

She likes to talk to me when I'm driving. Of course this means I never have pen and paper handy. She also reminds me of things while I'm busy doing work. It doesn't matter what kind of work, but usually it's the sort of work that means both hands are busy. The bathroom is another good spot for inspiration, but there usually isn't WRITING paper available. I think she likes the hum of the sewing machine because as soon as both of my hands are dealing with fabric, thread, and pins, she begins whispering in my ear.

What does she tell me? I don't really recall now that I'm at the key board. I know we talk about things that irritate me.
"Don't you just hate it when..."
"Remember when that Jerk said..."

I occasionally tell her to either shut up or change the subject, as she seems to harp on a single topic per session. Yes, I tell her, we've examined how I felt when that thing happened twenty years ago. Could we please, PLEASE move onto something else? I told you what I would say TODAY and what I would have said THEN with perfect future knowledge, but I was stupidly fumbling along at the time.

Anyone else have the same problem?

In the book "Stephen King: On Writing", the prolific Mr. King talks about his Muse. His Muse is "male, overweight, balding, and usually chomping on a cigar." According to Stephen King, the main thing I am doing wrong is I fail to "make an appointment with your Muse." Perhaps one day my life will be organized enough that I can schedule most of my daily tasks. An appointment with my Muse will be one of them. She and I will sit and chat. We will pick a subject, then I will type what she tells me to type.

I shall dream of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home